Demarcus “Tank” Lawrence is single handedly putting the “D” back in Defense for the Dallas Cowboys this season. Heading into week 15 against the Oakland Raiders he is the current sack leader with a cumulative 6.5 resulting in his selection as the NFC defensive player of the month for September.
Let’s get to know more about Tank in our OAT weekly spotlight.
— Dallas Cowboys (@dallascowboys) September 28, 2017
1. DeMarcus Lawrence was born on April 28, 1992. He goes by both D-Law and Tank. He attended Silver Bluff High School in South Carolina, a perennial small school powerhouse. Under head coach Al Lown, the Silver Bluff Bulldogs won more than 200 games and five state titles.
2. Tank originally attended Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kansas. After his redshirt freshman year, he earned first-team JC Gridwire, second-team NJCAA All-America, and first-team All-Jayhawks Conference honors after finishing with 69 tackles (21 for loss) and 12 sacks. During that season, Lawrence helped the Grizzlies win the Jayhawk Conference and Region IV Championships. He transferred to Boise State and majored in communications.
3. Tank was also named Boise State’s Most Valuable Defensive Player after posting 72 tackles and 3 forced fumbles. His 20 sacks in two years with the Broncos rank him sixth in Mountain West Conference annals and tied for seventh on the BSU chart. He also placed 14th in school history with 34 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
4. With an immediate need at defensive end, the Dallas Cowboys selected Lawrence with the 34th overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft off a trade with the Washington Redskins.After breaking his foot during Training Camp, he missed the first half of his rookie season but ended the regular season with 11 tackles. He made a huge impact during the 2014 Playoffs though with one stop, two sacks, two fumble recoveries, a hurry, and a forced fumble.
5. During his second season with the Cowboys, Lawrence played in all 16 games and led the team with 8 sacks and was second with 31 pressures. This past season he appeared in 9 games and posted 11 tackles, 1 sack, and a forced fumble.
6. Tank’s favorite food is Chicken Alfredo.
7. Favorite song to listen to before games, Jeezy – “Last of a Dying Breed.”
8. How he earned the nickname “Tank.”
Where did the nickname “Tank” come from?@TankLawrence strives to live up to it.
btw, he leads NFL in sacks through W3⛽️⛽️⛽️
📺21st & Prime pic.twitter.com/yT0FM9tgUv
— NFL Network (@nflnetwork) September 27, 2017
9. What was going through his mind when Roger Goodell called your name?
My first official tweet as an NFL draft prospect. Thank you Boise State. Follow me on my journey as I try to make it in the LEAGUE
— DeMarcus Lawrence (@TankLawrence) December 28, 2013
“I can’t even tell you — just my whole family being around me. I was on the phone so I didn’t really get to hear him call my name, but it was a very emotional state to be in.”
10. And last but not least, he’s been a Dallas Cowboys fan his entire life!